The Most Practical Way To Create Tasty Nikujaga (Simmered meat and potatoes)
Nikujaga (Simmered meat and potatoes). Nikujaga quite literally translates to "meat and potatoes" – niku means "meat" and jaga means "potatoes" in Japanese. It's a comfort food and the Japanese version of beef stew. The beef in Nikujaga is added more for flavor than substance.
With beef and potatoes simmered in a sweet soy stock until meltingly tender, Nikujaga (肉じゃが), or "meat potatoes" is Japanese comfort food at its best. It's a real work horse of the Japanese home kitchen and quite literally translates to "meat and potatoes". Being high in energy, low on prep time. Nowdays, you should can boil Nikujaga (Simmered meat and potatoes) using 10 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how the way you cook it.
Ingredients of Nikujaga (Simmered meat and potatoes)
- You need 6 of potatoes.
- You need 1 of onion.
- Prepare 1 of carrot.
- It’s 200 g of sliced beef or pork (ground meat is also ok.).
- You need 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s 6 tbsp of sake.
- You need 4 tbsp of sugar.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of mirin.
- It’s 6 tbsp of soy sauce.
- You need 4 cup of dashi.
Nikujaga (Japanese: 肉じゃが) literally means "meat and potatoes", from two of the main ingredients niku (meat) and jagaimo (potatoes). Unlike Western stews, the simmering time is much shorter because nikujaga uses thinly sliced meat. Beef is commonly used for this dish but in. Literally Nikujaga means meat and potatoes.
Nikujaga (Simmered meat and potatoes) instructions
- Cut the potatoes and soak into water for a while. Slice onion. Cut carrot and beef into bite-size. 2. Add olive oil to the flying pan and sauté beef. 3. Add onion, carrot, and potato without water and sauté them. 4. Add dashi, sake and sugar. Simmer it for 5 minutes. 5. Skim the scum. Add mirin and soy sauce. 6. Place the paper towel directly on the food and simmer it for 25 minutes..
- Add olive oil to the flying pan and sauté beef..
- Add onion, carrot, and potato and sauté them..
- Add dashi, sake and sugar. Simmer it for 5 minutes..
- Skim the scum. Add mirin and soy sauce..
- Place the paper towel directly on the food and simmer it for 25 minutes..
Niku is meat and jaga is the short form of Jagaimo, which means potatoes. Basically the meat and potatoes are stewed in soy sauce which has been sweetened with mirin and sugar. Home » International Foods » Nikujaga – Japanese Simmered Beef and Potatoes. The Japanese navy chefs were ordered to create a version of beef stew that the British Royal Navy were eating! Literally "meat and potatoes", the recipe for nikujaga could be considered Japan's answer to spaghetti bolognese.